This week, we've been talking a lot about urban agriculture, and the fact that living in the city doesn't mean you can't experience the joy and satisfaction of growing and raising your own food.
Too often people assume that living in a rented property or lacking access to a significant amount of land means they can only dream about establishing their own truly sustainable homestead, but as the urban agriculture movement continues to gather speed, we've seen people come up with some pretty clever solutions to space and time issues.
To celebrate the resurgence of the urban farm, we're giving one lucky Crisp Green reader the chance to win the ultimate handbook for sustainable city living!
With The Complete Idiot's Guide to Urban Homesteading anyone can learn how to live sustainably and responsibly-and save money and time-in any urban environment. Expert urban homesteader Sundari Elizabeth Kraft shares her hands-on knowledge of ways to cut costs and live green.
This book has all the information required to become a successful urban homesteader in any city, including:
- How to grow organic foods and preserve them
- How to raise small livestock and chickens
- Reusing gray water for gardening and outside cleaning
- Saving money on transportation and commuting
- Generating electricity and bio-fuels
- Creative recycling and reuse of used items
Written in a clear, enjoyable style this book inspires you to start with small steps and work your way up to bigger projects. Especially handy for those new to the idea of urban homesteading is an overview of zoning laws, neighborhood covenants, and other potential obstacles to urban homesteading, and ways to address them, and tips for utilizing the abundance of resources available for those who homestead in the city.
Win This Book!
How To Enter:
2. Leave a comment on this post telling us about something you've always wanted to grow or raise yourself, OR something that's always prevented you from becoming an urban homesteader (required).
3. BONUS! Receive 2 extra entries by posting about this giveaway on your blog. You must comment here with the URL of the post in order to quality.
This contest ends August 25th at 9 pm MST. A winner will be chosen randomly and notified by email. Open to US residents only.